Connect with us

Politics

Trump: Dems could help solve border crisis in ’15 minutes to an hour’ with one WH meeting

Published

on

Trump: Dems could help solve border crisis in '15 minutes to an hour' with one WH meeting

President Trump said Democrats could stop stonewalling over immigration and solve the issue with just a quick meeting, in remarks broadcast Sunday with ABC News’ “This Week” anchor George Stephanopoulos.

“The border should be done, George. The border… The Democrats should come in and 15 minutes to an hour we can have it all solved. It’s so simple,” the president said at the White House.

He added: “The things that we’re talking about you shouldn’t have to give. It’s so– there are three and four loopholes you solve those loopholes you no longer have a problem at the border. They should want to do it. But they don’t want to do it because of political reasons.”

Mexico announced recently that it was sending 6,000 agents of its new, still-forming, militarized police force known as the National Guard to its southern region for immigration enforcement as part of a deal with Washington to avoid Trump’s threatened tariffs on Mexican imports.

The number of migrant apprehensions at the U.S.-Mexico border was 132,887 in May, the highest monthly total in a decade. Many making the hazardous journey have been trying to escape poverty and violence in Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador, and the U.S. has been pushing Mexico to crack down.

However, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took issue with Trump’s threat to impose punishing tariffs, a threat that he sidelined earlier this month after further negotiations with Mexico.

“President Trump undermined America’s preeminent leadership role in the world by recklessly threatening to impose tariffs on our close friend and neighbor to the south… Threats and temper tantrums are no way to negotiate foreign policy,” Pelosi, D-Calif., said.

NEW FOX NEWS POLL: SANDERS DECLINES SHARPLY, BIDEN AHEAD OF TRUMP

President Trump, in remarks broadcast Sunday with ABC News’ "This Week" anchor George Stephanopoulos, said Democrats could stop stonewalling over the U.S.-Mexico border and help solve the crisis with a quick meeting. (AP, File)

President Trump, in remarks broadcast Sunday with ABC News’ “This Week” anchor George Stephanopoulos, said Democrats could stop stonewalling over the U.S.-Mexico border and help solve the crisis with a quick meeting. (AP, File)

The ABC News interview made headlines on several fronts, with the network promoting Stephanopoulos’ 30 hours he spent with Trump. Among other topics, the president said he would “want to hear” dirt on 2020 rivals from foreign governments.

Trump said he believed the situation at the border was connected to the recent successes of his administration.

“Well, that’s because the economy is so good, they try to come into our country. We have many more people wanting to come in and they come for economic reasons, they not coming for asylum,” he said.

He added: “Really, they’re coming though… most of them for economic reasons, and the country is doing better economically than ever before and everybody wants to crack in. I think we’ve done a great job on the border. We’re apprehending more people than ever before under our new Mexico plan. That’s going to help a lot because, you know, you’re going to see the numbers go way down. But really we should be able to do it much easier than that. If the Democrats sat down for fifteen minutes we could work it out.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Republicans have continued to blame Democrats for the border crisis.

Border apprehensions for 2019 are set to reach theit highest level since 2006 and double the number seen in 2018. According to one analysis by Princeton Policy Advisors, a group focusing on developing policy solutions to issues including illegal immigration, border apprehensions could reach a 13-year high of 913,000 for 2019.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Trump announces ‘real compromise’ on budget deal with congressional leaders

Published

on

By

Trump announces 'real compromise' on budget deal with congressional leaders

The Trump administration and congressional leaders, including Democrats, have reached a critical debt and budget agreement, a deal that amounted to an against-the-odds victory for Washington pragmatists seeking to avoid politically dangerous tumult over fiscal deadlines, President Trump announced Monday.

The deal would increase spending caps by $320 billion relative to the limits prescribed in the 2011 Budget Control Act, whose provisions have repeatedly been waived year after year. It would also suspend the debt ceiling and permit more government borrowing until July 31, 2021 — after the next presidential election.

The arrangement all but eliminates the risk of another government shut down this fall, but already has been drawing the ire of fiscal conservatives saying it will lead to more irresponsible government spending.

Even some Democrats — including Vermont Sen. Patrick J. Leahy — were outraged, saying the bill would not block Trump from spending money on his proposed border wall.

“I am pleased to announce that a deal has been struck with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy – on a two-year Budget and Debt Ceiling, with no poison pills,” Trump wrote.

He added: “This was a real compromise in order to give another big victory to our Great Military and Vets!”

Democrats celebrated that, under the new deal, the domestic, non-military budget receives larger increases than the defense budget, when compared to last year. Democrats also lauded the deal’s allocation of $2.5 billion for the 2020 Census, to ensure that all residents are counted.

The deal, which must still pass Congress, also comes as budget deficits have been rising to $1 trillion levels — requiring the government to borrow a quarter for every dollar the government spends — despite the thriving economy and three rounds of annual Trump budget proposals promising to crack down on the domestic programs that Pelosi, D-Calif., has been defending.

It apparently ignored warnings from fiscal conservatives saying the nation’s spending has been unsustainable and eventually will drag down the economy.

“This agreement is a total abdication of fiscal responsibility by Congress and the president,” said Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, a Washington advocacy group. “It may end up being the worst budget agreement in our nation’s history, proposed at a time when our fiscal conditions are already precarious.”

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump says deal reached on spending, debt limit

Published

on

By

Trump says deal reached on spending, debt limit

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as he formally kicking off his re-election bid with a campaign rally in Orlando, Florida, U.S., June 18, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Donald Trump said on Monday a two-year deal had been reached with congressional leaders to raise the Treasury Department’s borrowing authority and to set budget spending caps.

“I am pleased to announce that a deal has been struck with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy – on a two-year Budget and Debt Ceiling, with no poison pills,” Trump said on Twitter.

Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by David Alexander

Continue Reading

Politics

Pence’s mysteriously canceled NH trip linked to presence of suspected drug dealer

Published

on

By

Pence's mysteriously canceled NH trip linked to presence of suspected drug dealer

Vice President Pence abrupt and mysterious scrapping of plans to fly to New Hampshire and return to the White House earlier this month occurred, in part, because of concerns he could come in contact with a suspected drug dealer under federal investigation, Fox News has learned.

The abrupt cancellation of Pence’s trip to Salem on July 2 has prompted confusion and speculation. At the time, a senior White House official told reporters the situation wasn’t related to national security or the health of Pence or President Trump.

On Monday, Politico reported that among the concerns was Pence’s potential proximity to Jeff Hatch, a former New York Giants player who was under investigation by the Drug Enforcement Administration over the movement of fentanyl from Massachusetts to New Hampshire. Hatch, according to Politico, pleaded guilty to federal drug charges in court on Friday.

PENCE STILL WON’T DIVULGE REASON FOR ABRUPT NH TRIP CANCELLATION: ‘I CAN’T DISCUSS IT’

An email address listed for Hatch at Granite Recovery Centers was no longer active on Monday. Hatch also did not comment to Politico.

Fox News was told that Hatch, who worked at a treatment center that Pence had planned to visit, is only part of the reason why the trip was scrapped.

The unusual sequence of events began with a crowd in Salem was waiting for Pence to participate in a roundtable discussion on the illegal drug flow in New Hampshire. But shortly before the vice president was to arrive, an announcer told the crowd that Air Force Two was no longer able to come to New Hampshire.

PENCE’S OFFICE TIGHT-LIPPED AFTER VP ABRUPTLY CANCELS NEW HAMPSHIRE TRIP TO RETURN TO WHITE HOUSE

Pence’s chief of staff, Marc Short, later told reporters that Pence had boarded the plane, but that Air Force Two hadn’t left the ground. Short said at the time that details of the events would be made public “in a few weeks.”

In a recent interview with Fox News, Pence refused to disclose the reasons.

“Facts came to our attention that made it no longer appropriate for us to make the trip,” Pence said. “And I can’t discuss it.”

Without going into details, the vice president said the reason had “nothing to do with the White House. Nothing to do with the administration.” He said he hoped to be able to speak about it eventually.

“I hope we have the opportunity to discuss the reasons in the future, but I’m very confident that we made the right decision,” he said.

Fox News’ John Roberts contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending