Connect with us

Entertainment

Tina Fey doesn’t believe ‘SNL’ can ‘sway’ political opinions as much as people think

Published

on

Tina Fey doesn't believe 'SNL' can 'sway' political opinions as much as people think

Despite helping to ramp up its political coverage over the past ten years, former “Saturday Night Live” star Tina Fey doesn’t believe the show has as much sway over the public as people think.

Fey was a regular cast member on the sketch series from 1997 to 2006. In 2000 she joined Jimmy Fallon on the show’s “Weekend Update” desk before moving on to do shows like “30 Rock” and “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” However, in 2008 she became an unexpectedly major part of the presidential race thanks to her guest portrayal of Sen. John McCain’s then-running mate Sarah Palin.

‘SNL’ COLD OPEN HAS JOE BIDEN (AKA JASON SUDEIKIS) UNDERGOING SENSITIVITY TRAINING

Fey, 48, sat down for an interview with former “Doctor Who” star David Tennant for an interview on his podcast where she discussed her time as Palin and how it affected the comedy and political dialogue of today.

Tennant pressed his guest on the responsibility she feels as a political satirist. Fey explained that, while she always considers her comedy’s impact, she doesn’t think “SNL” will ever make or break someone’s political opinion.

“I don’t think that show can really sway people,” Fey said. “I think you can shine a light… You can help them articulate something they’re already feeling about a given person.”

Tina Fey discussed her role in politics during her time on 'Saturday Night Live.'

Tina Fey discussed her role in politics during her time on ‘Saturday Night Live.’
(Reuters)

Fey did note that the political landscape has changed since her days impersonating Palin. She brought up her former “Weekend Update” co-host and the backlash he received for having then-candidate Donald Trump on “The Tonight Show” for a less-than-hard-hitting segment.

‘SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE’ MOCKS LORI LOUGHLIN, JULIAN ASSANGE, MICHAEL AVENATTI AND MSNBC MUELLER REPORT COVERAGE

“Poor Jimmy, that was sort of business as usual. You wouldn’t think, ‘Oh, you can’t have a presidential candidate on your talk show,’ but the world had changed. He’s since very much realized that,” Fey said.

Tina Fey as Governor Sarah Palin during the 'Vice Presidential Debate' skit on October 4, 2008.

Tina Fey as Governor Sarah Palin during the ‘Vice Presidential Debate’ skit on October 4, 2008.
(Photo by Dana Edelson/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images)

The comedian described the time Palin herself came on the show to respond to the impression, which gained viral popularity in 2008. At the time, she noted that she objected to “SNL” boss Lorne Michaels but quickly realized that it was what audiences wanted to see. Fey eventually relented under one condition.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I didn’t want him to have her on and I didn’t want to be in a two-shot with her, because I thought, ‘Well, that’s what they’ll show when I die,’” Fey told Tennant. “And they still might, but they’ll have to splice it.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Bella Thorne sends hearts racing with sexy bikini snap after Mod Sun split

Published

on

By

Bella Thorne sends hearts racing with sexy bikini snap after Mod Sun split

Bella Thorne is showing her ex what he’s missing.

The former Disney child star posed for a series of sexy snaps on Instagram just days after announcing she had split from rapper Mod Sun.

“Not that chick that wears makeup in the pool,” Thorne captioned the sultry photo in which she dons a barely there black bikini as she exits a pool.

BELLA THORNE GETS CANDID ABOUT BISEXUALITY, OPEN RELATIONSHIPS WITH MOD SUN AND TANA MONGEAU

She wore the same bathing suit days earlier while posing yet again poolside. “It’s hot help me,” she wrote.

Thorne, 21, announced last week that she and the 32-year-old rapper had parted ways after dating for more than a year.

BELLA THORNE POSES NAKED IN WHIPPED CREAM TO PROMOTE MAKEUP LINE

“I  will always love you. All good things must come to an end,” the actress wrote on Instagram. She punctuated the snap with a broken heart emoji.

BELLA THORNE POSES NUDE WITH NO RETOUCHING

The breakup comes two months after Thorne announced she and girlfriend Tana Mongeau — who she dated concurrently with Mod Sun — split.

“Tana and I aren’t together anymore, pls stop asking. We love U guys,” Thorne tweeted in February.

Mongeau, 20, tweeted at the time, “i love her forever don’t get that twisted. she changed my life forever. don’t rly wanna talk on it.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In January, Thorne said of her relationships with Mongeau and Mod Sun, “I don’t think anybody will really understand the bonds that I share with Mod or Tana … Yeah, we joke around about poly, but we aren’t in the sense that we don’t put a word, a box or label too many things. It is what it is.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Chris Pratt reveals he’s ‘so thrilled’ to work with re-hired James Gunn on ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’

Published

on

By

Chris Pratt reveals he's 'so thrilled' to work with re-hired James Gunn on 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3'

Avengers: Endgame” star Chris Pratt is thrilled that he will work with writer and director James Gunn on the third “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie.

Gunn was fired by Disney in July 2018 after decade-old tweets resurfaced in which he joked about topics like pedophilia and rape. Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn told Fox News at the time that the studio had “severed our business relationship” with Gunn. However, the studio reversed that decision in March.

“I was so thrilled, so excited. I think it’s the right move, I really stand behind it,” Pratt, 39, told People. “I’m really proud of Disney for hiring James back and ultimately thrilled for not only us, but also for the fans. I think it’s going to wrap up the trilogy in the best way.”

SCARLETT JOHANSSON SIZZLES IN SILVER AT ‘AVENGERS’ PREMIERE WITH BOYFRIEND COLIN JOST

He continued, “And Guardians of the Galaxy are really all about second chances and giving people an opportunity to be their best. We’re a ragtag squad of people coming together and having each other’s back. I think it really worked out the way it was supposed to, and I feel good about it.”

Pratt was among the eight cast members to share a note with Disney urging it to rehire Gunn in the wake of his controversy. At the time, Gunn had already apologized for his past comments noting that, early on in his career, he tried to be provocative with his comedy and regretted it.

Chris Pratt revealed that he's thrilled to work with director James Gunn again on 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3.'

Chris Pratt revealed that he’s thrilled to work with director James Gunn again on ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3.’
(Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” Gunn wrote at the time. “I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

MARK RUFFALO WAS ASTONISHED TO LEARN THIS FACT ABOUT HIS ‘AVENGERS: ENDGAME’ CO-STAR BRIE LARSON

Disney announced that not only would it work with Gunn again, but it will use his script for “Guardians of the Galaxy 3” as well as reinstate him as director.

“I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the past few months. I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be,” Gunn wrote following his reinstatement. “I deeply appreciate Disney’s decision and I am excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all. I have been and continue to be incredibly humbled by your love and support. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Love to you all.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Before his third adventure with the Guardians, Pratt is expected to appear again in “Avengers: Endgame,” which hits theaters April 26. Meanwhile, Gunn will helm the sequel to “Suicide Squad” for DC and Warner Bros.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Prince estate to release ‘Originals’ album of late legend’s versions of songs he wrote for other artists

Published

on

By

Prince estate to release 'Originals' album of late legend's versions of songs he wrote for other artists

It’s a rare singer-songwriter who can just give away undeniable hits like “Nothing Compares 2 U,” “Manic Monday” and “The Glamorous Life” to other artists, but that’s exactly what Prince did throughout his 40-year career.

And on his birthday, June 7, the late artist’s estate, in partnership with Warner Bros. Records and Tidal, will release “Originals,” a 15-track album featuring 14 previously unreleased recordings by Prince of such songs. The tracks were selected collaboratively by Troy Carter, on behalf of The Prince Estate, and Jay-Z. (The full tracklist appears below.)

Starting June 7, “Originals” will stream exclusively on Tidal for 14 days. The announcement notes, “In the spirit of sharing Prince’s music with his fans as he wanted, the album will be available to stream in Master quality via Tidal’s HiFi subscription tier. Members will be able to hear the recordings just as the Artist intended the tracks to sound.”

On June 21, Warner Bros. will release the recordings, sourced directly from Prince’s archive of “Vault” recordings, via all download and streaming partners and physically on CD, while 180 gram 2LP and limited edition Deluxe CD+2LP formats will follow on July 19th. (Pre-order the album here.)

Prince was a monumentally prolific artist. By the mid-1980s, in addition to releasing nine of his most commercially successful albums, he also wrote and recorded many dozens of songs for proteges The Time, Vanity 6, Sheila E., Apollonia 6, Jill Jones, the Family, and Mazarati, and countless unreleased tracks. Often, Prince’s original demo recordings would be used as master takes on their albums, with only minor alterations to the instrumentation and a replacement of the vocal tracks. Other times, artists would rely on his demos to guide them through their own recording process, with Prince’s initial take informing their final version of his song.

“Originals” reveals the origins of these songs — many of which were substantial hits — along with deeper album cuts such as Vanity 6’s “Make-Up,” Jill Jones’s “Baby, You’re a Trip,” and Kenny Rogers’ “You’re My Love.” While several of the versions on “Originals” have been available on bootlegs, many have not. The only previously released track is Prince’s original 1984 version of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” which was issued in 2018 as a standalone single (although the 1992 live duet version with Rosie Gaines may be his definitive take). The song was originally released in 1985 by The Family, and made into an unforgettable No. 1 single by Sinead O’Connor five years later. The album also includes Prince’s versions of four songs he produced for Sheila E. and two by The Time.

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending