Connect with us

Entertainment

Stars flock to Nancy Pelosi at Clive Davis’ pre-Grammys party

Published

on

Stars flock to Nancy Pelosi at Clive Davis' pre-Grammys party

The audience at Clive Davis’ white-hot gala included Barbra Streisand, Joni Mitchell and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, but it was House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who got the most requests to take a selfie.

READ NANCY PELOSI’S LETTER TO DONALD TRUMP

Pelosi received rock star treatment Saturday night from attendees at the annual pre-Grammy event, which also featured a stunning tribute to the late Aretha Franklin, an artist Davis worked closely with for decades.

Pelosi’s sarcastic handclap and smirk to President Donald Trump at his State of the Union address went viral last week and launched hundreds of memes. So when Davis announced that she was in the audience — Pelosi has attended in the past — she received a standing ovation, while some people even imitated her now-famous handclap.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

At the top of the event and as she tried to exit, people asked to take selfies, almost creating a line as Pelosi smiled through them all.

A wide range of celebrities attended event at the Beverly Hilton, including Apple’s Tim Cook, Netflix’s Ted Sarandos, recent Super Bowl champ Julian Edelman, Wolfgang Puck, Earth, Wind & Fire, Dionne Warwick, Kathy Griffin, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Calvin Klein, Angela Bassett, Berry Gordy, Fred Armisen, George Clinton and Darren Criss.

GRAMMYS 2019: WHY GOD WILL BE CENTER STAGE AT AWARDS SHOW

The night closed with a rousing tribute to Franklin, who died in August. R&B singer-songwriter Jazmine Sullivan stunned with her renditions of “Call Me” and “I Knew You Were Waiting,” then joined by Rob Thomas, who held his own onstage. Soul singer Ledisi, a powerhouse vocalist, also shined while sister duo Chloe x Halle, nominated for two Grammys, brought the house down when they performed “Sisters Are Doin’ It for Themselves.”

Yael Cohen, Nancy Pelosi, and Jessie Muscio

Yael Cohen, Nancy Pelosi, and Jessie Muscio

Rapper Travis Scott, nominated for three Grammys, kicked off the night with the hit “Goosebumps.” Before performing “Sickomode,” which reached No.1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart last year, he told the audience: “I only came to rage.”

“Don’t be scared to stand up now,” Scott’s DJ said.

The Time made a surprise appearance, bringing the audience to its feet with a fun performance. The group, along with Quincy Jones, honored Clarence Avant, the 87-year-old music executive known as the “godfather of black music.”

H.E.R., nominated for five Grammys including album of the year, continued to prove why she’s the artist to look out for, earning a standing ovation for her spectacular vocals and skilled guitar playing. Other performers included Brandi Carlile, Florida Georgia Line with Bebe Rexha, and Keala Settle, who sang “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman.”

Davis’ event was also attended by James Brolin, Beck, Joe Walsh, Alice Cooper, A$AP Rocky, Diane Warren, LL Cool J, David Foster, Miguel, Chick Corea, Maren Morris, Rae Sremmurd, Ryan Tedder, Max Martin, Courtney B. Vance, L.A. Reid, Dua Lipa, Ciara and Russell Wilson.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Jussie Smollett has ‘no plans’ to meet with Chicago police, despite their request

Published

on

By

Jussie Smollett has 'no plans' to meet with Chicago police, despite their request

Attorneys for “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett say there are “no plans” for him to meet with Chicago police Monday for a follow-up interview about his alleged assault, even though law enforcement has requested one.

“There are no plans for Jussie Smollett to meet with Chicago police today,” Anne Kavanagh, a spokesperson for Smollett’s attorneys, said in a statement on Monday obtained by The Wrap. “Any news reports suggesting otherwise are inaccurate. Smollett’s attorneys will keep an active dialogue going with Chicago police on his behalf.”

On Saturday, a Chicago police spokesperson said Smollett is no longer considered a victim in the case that allegedly involved an attack by two masked men who shouted racial and anti-gay slurs at the actor and, “This is MAGA country!”

JUSSIE SMOLLETT’S LAWYERS DENY HE PLANNED ATTACK AFTER CHICAGO POLICE CLAIM HE’S NO LONGER CONSIDERED A VICTIM IN CASE

Police earlier said that the “trajectory of the investigation” shifted and that they wanted to conduct another interview with Smollett about the alleged hate crime last month. Police released two Nigerian brothers who were held for questioning about the reported attack. They were released late Friday without charges.

L-R: Taraji P. Henson and Jussie Smollett in the "Treasons, Stratagems, and Spoils" episode of "Empire."

L-R: Taraji P. Henson and Jussie Smollett in the “Treasons, Stratagems, and Spoils” episode of “Empire.”
(Fox via Getty)

“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the ‘Empire’ case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation,” Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement at the time. “We’ve reached out to the ‘Empire’ cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”

‘EMPIRE’ STAR JUSSIE SMOLLETT SPEAKS OUT AFTER ALLEGED HATE CRIME ATTACK

The men were arrested Wednesday night after investigators tracked their movement on surveillance cameras in the area where Smollett said the attack occurred. Smollett, who is black and openly gay, said he was attacked by two masked men on Jan. 29 as he was walking home from a Subway restaurant. Police have said they were investigating the attack as a possible hate crime and earlier considered Smollett a victim.

Smollett’s attorneys, Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson, vehemently denied that the attack was a hoax, previously telling press, “As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with. He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.”

Singer Jussie Smollett during his concert at The Troubadour Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, in West Hollywood, Calif. Smollett opened the concert with an emotional speech, saying he had to play the show because he couldn’t let his attackers win. (AP Photo/Andrew Dalton)

Singer Jussie Smollett during his concert at The Troubadour Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, in West Hollywood, Calif. Smollett opened the concert with an emotional speech, saying he had to play the show because he couldn’t let his attackers win. (AP Photo/Andrew Dalton)

JUSSIE SMOLLETT DEFENDED BY CRISIS MANAGER AFTER POLICE SAY PHONE RECORDS WERE ‘INSUFFICIENT’

“One of these purported suspects was Jussie’s personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video. It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity,” the statement continued. “Jussie and his attorneys anticipate being further updated by the Chicago Police Department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate. At the present time, Jussie and his attorneys have no inclination to respond to “unnamed” sources inside of the investigation, but will continue discussions through official channels.”

A rep for Smollett did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Fox News’ Louis Casiano and Michael Tobin and The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Al Sharpton says Jussie Smollett should ‘face accountability to the maximum’ if attack was orchestrated

Published

on

By

Al Sharpton says Jussie Smollett should ‘face accountability to the maximum’ if attack was orchestrated

When “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett said he was attacked by two masked men yelling racist and homophobic epithets, as well as “This is MAGA country,” MSNBC host Al Sharpton came out in support of the star.

“We can’t make people love each other, but we can sure hold them accountable if they harm each other,” Sharpton said at the end of his “Final Thoughts” segment headlined, “We’re with you Jussie.”

But amid multiple reports this weekend that Smollett may have been involved in orchestrating the attack, Sharpton, who made his name in the 1980s as the spokesperson Tawana Brawley in what turned out to be false claims she was raped by four white men, changed his tune on-air on Sunday.

ROBIN ROBERTS SAYS COPS FELT JUSSIE SMOLLETT WAS CREDIBLE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW

Sharpton still thinks someone should be punished, but his tune has changed as these new reports emerged.

“If it is found that Smollett and these gentlemen did, in some way, perpetrate something that is not true, they ought to face accountability to the maximum,” Sharpton said referring to the actor and two men linked to him who have been questioned by police. “Let us get to the bottom of it, and let justice be done, no matter who is right or wrong.”

POLITICIANS WHO JUMPED ON JUSSIE SMOLLETT ATTACK CLAIM IN AWKWARD SPOT

Smollett, who is black and openly gay, has claimed he was attacked by two masked men early on Jan. 29 as he walked to his Chicago apartment from a Subway restaurant. Smollett alleged the men shouted racial and anti-gay slurs at him.

Sharpton famously lost a defamation suit when the Brawley attack was eventually found not to have happened. Now, there are reports that Smollett might have also orchestrated an alleged attack — as local reports have cited sources saying the attack was a hoax, though the Chicago Police Department has not confirmed that.

Last week, Chicago police questioned two Nigerian brothers in the reported attack but released them Friday without charges. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the pair had given officers information that had “shifted the trajectory of the investigation.”

FOX NATION’S ‘SCANDALOUS: THE MYSTERIOUS STORY OF TAWANA BRAWLEY’ GOES IN-DEPTH ON THE LIE THAT MADE AL SHARPTON FAMOUS

“While we are not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what’s been unofficially released, there are some developments in this investigation and detectives have some follow-ups to complete which include speaking to the individual who reported the incident, ” Guglielmi said Sunday.

In this 1988 file photo, Tawana Brawley speaks to reporters with her adviser the Rev. Al Sharpton in Chicago.

In this 1988 file photo, Tawana Brawley speaks to reporters with her adviser the Rev. Al Sharpton in Chicago.
(AP)

Smollett received an outpouring of support from politicians and celebs when he first went public about the alleged attack in January. Smollett reportedly has claimed at least one of the attackers said to him, “this is MAGA country,” in reference to President Trump’s campaign slogan.

The Brawley rape allegations in the late 1980s left an entire community on the brink of “civil war” – and a recent Fox Nation documentary took a closer look at one of the most racially-charged legal sagas in American history.

The New York teen’s claims — in which she said she was allegedly raped in the woods by multiple white men in Wappingers Falls, New York, and then left wrapped in a feces-covered plastic bag with racial slurs written on her body — helped springboard the careers of activists including Sharpton. But after an extensive investigation filled with twists and turns, a grand jury found the allegations to be an elaborate hoax.

Smollett’s lawyer has denied his client had anything to do with his alleged attack in Chicago.

“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with,” attorneys Todd S. Pugh and Victor P. Henderson said in a statement. “He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.”

Fox News’ Alex Pappas, Greg Norman and Samuel Chamberlain contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Pregnant Meghan Markle arrives in New York City for royal baby shower

Published

on

By

Pregnant Meghan Markle arrives in New York City for royal baby shower

Meghan Markle will celebrate her baby shower in the Big Apple.

MEGHAN MARKLE’S FAMILY DRAMA LIKELY TO WORSEN AFTER ROYAL BABY IS BORN

The pregnant Duchess of Sussex reportedly touched down in New York City on Monday with the party scheduled for Tuesday.

The 37-year-old former “Suits” star’s stylist and best friend Jessica Mulroney is in charge of the shower, Page Six reported.

The shower is said to be taking place at an Upper East Side hotel.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

It’s unclear who else is on the guest list or whether Markle will also have a baby shower across the pond.

Markle and husband Prince Harry announced in October that they’re expecting their first child.

5 UNUSUAL TRADITIONS MEGHAN MARKLE AND PRINCE HARRY’S ROYAL BABY WILL HAVE TO FOLLOW

The baby is due in the spring, likely in April.

MEGHAN MARKLE’S BABY BUMP CRADLING SPARKS BACKLASH

Markle and Harry will reportedly have a working “babymoon” in Morocco starting Saturday.

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending