Connect with us

Entertainment

Sarah Ferguson addresses perceived rivalry with Princess Diana, slams online attacks

Published

on

Sarah Ferguson addresses perceived rivalry with Princess Diana, slams online attacks

Sarah Ferguson addressed the perceived rivalry between her and Princess Diana while appearing to slam online abuse against Meghan Markle and Kate Middleton.

In an essay published in Hello! magazine, Ferguson spoke about online bullying and how women are constantly pitted against each other. She mentioned her relationship with Diana while appearing to also hint at the online attacks against Markle and Middleton in recent months.

Sarah Ferguson said there was never really a rivalry between her and Princess Diana.

Sarah Ferguson said there was never really a rivalry between her and Princess Diana.
(Getty Images)

“Women, in particular, are constantly pitted against and compared with each other in a way that reminds me of how people tried to portray Diana and me all the time as rivals, which is something neither of us ever really felt,” Ferguson said.

MEGHAN MARKLE, KATE MIDDLETON FEUD EXPLAINED BY TWO ROYAL EXPERTS: ‘THEY DON’T HAVE TO BE THE BEST OF FRIENDS’

The mother of Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie said online attacks can have a negative impact on people’s mental health.

“People feel licensed to say things online that they would never dream of saying to someone’s face, and that encourages others to pile in,” she said. “It’s so ubiquitous that we’ve all become numb to what’s going on. There is good evidence that this online culture is having a detrimental impact on people’s mental health, particularly vulnerable young people.”

“I believe that it’s time to take a stand. This isn’t about freedom of speech. The truth is, it’s not acceptable to post abuse or threats on social media or news sites, and it’s not acceptable to harangue other users simply because they disagree with you,” Ferguson wrote in the essay.

“It’s not acceptable to pit women against one another all the time. It’s not acceptable to troll other people viciously online,” she added.

MEGHAN MARKLE’S FATHER SAYS HE’S ‘VERY UPSET’ BY ALLEGED KATE MIDDLETON FEUD: ‘THEY SHOULD PUT THEIR DIFFERENCES ASIDE’

Ferguson wrote the essay in support of the magazine’s campaign #HelloToKindness, created to promote a positive online culture after seeing the constant abuse against the Duchess of Sussex, Duchess of Cambridge and their fans.

Meghan Markle with Kate Middleton.

Meghan Markle with Kate Middleton.
(Getty Images)

A source previously told the U.K. magazine that Kensington Palace staff was spending “a lot of hours” managing the negative comments directed at Middleton and Markle. The duchesses have been the subject of a slew of sexist and racist comments.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Over the course of last year, with hundreds of thousands of comments, there were two or three that were violent threats,” the source told the magazine. “You can delete and report and block people and the police have options around particular people. It’s something you have to manage because there’s no other way to control it.”

The duchesses were also rumored to be in a feud, leading Kensington Palace to issue a rare statement in December over a report involving Middleton and Markle.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

‘Stranger Things’ creators fail to get plagiarism case tossed; trial set for next month

Published

on

By

'Stranger Things' creators fail to get plagiarism case tossed; trial set for next month

The third season of “Stranger Things” is set to launch on Netflix on July 4, but series creators the Duffer Brothers are probably more focused on another date after a judge today rejected their attempt to get a plagiarism lawsuit dismissed.

Unless L.A. Superior Court Judge Michael Stern changes his mind soon or plaintiff Charlie Kessler backs off, Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer are heading for an Upside Down of their own with a May 6 starting trial.

“Triable issues of fact remain to be determined concerning what plaintiff said, what he meant to convey by his conversation and how the defendants responded before it can be definitively concluded whether or not an implied in fact contract was formed,” Judge Stern wrote Wednesday (read it here).

“Defendants submit that their creation was independent and occurred prior to plaintiff’s alleged disclosure of his idea to them,” the LASC judge added, taking aim at the Duffers’ insistence that filmmaker Kessler’s allegations are baloney. “They each submit declarations relying upon and substantiating the credibility of each other’s testimony. However, there is little independent verifying evidence of the originality of their idea.”

Basically, this year-long case is going to trial because the court has seen no proof that Matt and Ross Duffer came up with the incredibly successful and multi-Emmy nominated 1980s-set supernatural drama other than Matt and Ross Duffer saying that they did.

Extras may find themselves “banding together” this fall to film the show “Stranger Things.”

Extras may find themselves “banding together” this fall to film the show “Stranger Things.”
(Netflix)

“Without such admissible evidence, we are left with an issue of determining credibility that must be decided by the trier of fact,” the denial of the Brothers’ summary judgment motion notes. “Moreover, whether or not there is a similarity between the concepts to be discerned by comparing them is a subissue of independent creation that must be decided by the trier of fact.”

“The Duffer Brothers have our full support,” said a Netfix spokesperson Wednesday of this potential Demogorgon. “This case has no merit, which we look forward to being confirmed by a full hearing of the facts in court.”

Clearly the other side thinks the matter has a boatload of merit and also thinks it’s time for the streaming service and the Duffers to drop that line, among others.

“Now that the Judge has ruled and denied their motion for summary judgment, we can now dispense with the nonsense promoted by the Duffers and Netflix that this lawsuit has no merit, and that they had ‘proof’ that they created the show,” Kessler’s attorney S. Michael Keman of the self title Santa Monica firm states after today’s decision. “If the lawsuit had no merit, or if they actually had the ‘proof’ they created it, then their summary judgment would have won.  They lost.  These motions are very hard to fight and winning this Motion shows Mr. Kessler has a good case.  We look forward to proving Mr. Kessler’s case at trial.”

Filmmaker Kessler claimed in his initial April 2, 2018 filing that he pitched the concept to the Duffers four years beforehand at a Tribeca Film Festival party. The “Montauk” director also asserted that he later handed over “the script, ideas, story and film” to the brother and that they allegedly used that material develop Stranger Things.

Kessler says the Duffers used the working title “The Montauk Project” during the early stages of Stranger Things, which was originally set in the Long Island town of the title (a setting later changed to Indiana). It should be stated that when Duffers project with Netflix was first announced in 2015, it was called “Montauk” and was set in Long Island.

Not totally unlike the first season of “Stranger Things” in 2016, the plot of Kessler’s 2012 “Montauk” short film revolves around a missing boy, a nearby military base conducting experiments on children and a monster from another dimension that looks like a toy.

Regardless, the day after Kessler’s suit was put in LASC docket, the Duffers said that they considered the action “completely meritless” and “just an attempt to profit” from the Netflix series.

They might have to offer up a bit more than that in court next month.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Timothy Olyphant recalls working with Luke Perry on ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’

Published

on

By

Timothy Olyphant recalls working with Luke Perry on 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'

Luke Perry’s last role will be in Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” and his co-star Timothy Olyphant got a front-row seat to the late actor’s final performance.

Perry, who died this March after suffering a massive stroke, had completed all of his scenes in the upcoming film prior to his sudden death.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” which hits theaters this summer, stars Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio as a washed-up actor and his longtime stunt double. The film is set in 1969 Hollywood against the backdrop of the rise of the Charles Manson cult, with Pitt and DiCaprio’s character living next door to Sharon Tate (played by Margot Robbie), the actress famously killed in the Manson murders.

Perry will play the role of real-life actor Wayne Maunder, who co-starred in the late ’60s TV western “Lancer” with actor James Stacy, who will be portrayed by Olyphant.

Given their storylines, Olyphant shared many of his scenes with Perry.

“What a lovely guy. Just a lovely guy. I’m going to miss him at that premiere. I’m going to miss him. I’m going to miss him anyway,” Olyphant recently told Variety at the New York City premiere of his animated film “Missing Link.”

“We just met on the film, but the two of us showed up, and we kept looking at each other like, ‘How’d we get in? I don’t know who let us in, but they let us in,’” Olyphant said with a smile, recalling his time working opposite Perry, calling the Tarantino film a “dream come true.” He continued, “There were so many moments where it just felt like the two of us would look at each other and we both had the same look on our face, which is, ‘Not bad. Here we are.’”

Olyphant said although he and Perry are not particularly close, they spent time together on set talking about their families. He also remembered Perry for his genuine kindness and work ethic.

“I haven’t met anyone who’s ever said a bad thing about the guy, and that was my experience hanging out with him and working with him,” Olyphant said. “He was the best kind of actor. He was a craftsman. He was all about the work. No bulls—. He showed up early and did his work, and we spent most of our time talking about our families and just enjoying the job. Just a lovely guy.”

Perry’s was not the only death to hit “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” The late Burt Reynolds was attached to appear in the star-studded film, but hadn’t filmed his scenes prior to his death in September 2018. Bruce Dern replaced Reynolds in his role.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Collapsed hedge fund Columna sues Permira-backed former managers

Published

on

By

Mexico calls U.S. notification to Congress on trade deal 'step forward'

LONDON (Reuters) – The new managers of Columna Commodities Fund, a Luxembourg hedge fund which went into liquidation in early 2017, have said they are suing its former managers Alter Domus for $56 million in lost assets and fees.

Columna, launched in 2013, was a top-performing fund in a stable known as LFP I SICAV, managed by Luxembourg Fund Partners.

Alter Domus, a Luxembourg fund platform and administrator that has financial backing from private equity giant Permira, bought Luxembourg Fund Partners in December 2017, after Columna’s collapse, when LFP I SICAV’s assets under management totaled nearly 400 million euros ($450 million).

In a statement released earlier this week, the new directors said they had launched a claim to recover investment losses, management and performance fees from Alter Domus Management Company. LFP I SICAV’s assets under management now total around 80 million euros.

Columna made double-digit gains in 2014, 2015 and 2016 investing in a range of commodity products, according to information it sent its investors. But it then closed abruptly in December 2016 without returning any of its assets.

An Alter Domus spokesman said the firm was only aware of “significant issues” with Columna between 2013 and 2016 after buying Luxembourg Fund Partners.

The spokesman declined to comment on the legal claim.

In a previous email, he said Alter Domus was looking into the issues with Columna and had “engaged various external firms to assist with our investigation, the findings of which has led to the commencement of legal actions”. He declined to comment further on the legal actions, saying they were ongoing.

Permira declined to comment.

After being asked by Columna investors to help, asset recovery specialist David Mapley was one of three directors appointed to a new board of LFP I SICAV late last year and authorized by the Luxembourg regulator in February 2019 to take over management of the fund stable from Alter Domus.

Luxembourg’s financial regulator declined to comment on individual firms or court cases.

Reporting by Carolyn Cohn, Simon Jessop and Maiya Keidan; editing by David Evans

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending