Connect with us

Sports

Ole Miss football forced to vacate 33 wins over six seasons after NCAA violations

Published

on

Ole Miss football forced to vacate 33 wins over six seasons after NCAA violations

Ole Miss will vacate 33 total football wins from six seasons between 2010 and 2016 for fielding ineligible players, athletic director Ross Bjork said Monday night.

“It’s the last part of this process,” Bjork said at a town hall meeting in Cleveland, Miss.. “In a way, it’s just a piece of paper, because you saw those games.”

Ole Miss received the sanctions after being accused of 15 Level I violations under coach Hugh Freeze. The NCAA panel on Infractions said the school lacked institutional control and fostered “an unconstrained culture of booster involvement in football recruiting.”

The Rebels will vacate four wins from 2010, two from 2011, seven from 2012, seven from 2013, eight from 2014 and five from 2016.

The vacated wins include a 23-17 win over Alabama in 2014, with College GameDay in town, that resulted in students storming the field and goalposts coming down. The goalposts became folk heroes, touring the campus and visiting after-parties.

Some of the charges date back to the tenure of previous coach Houston Nutt, who was fired in 2011, but most of the case involves conduct that happened under Freeze. The sprawling case involves alleged academic, booster and recruiting misconduct.

Former offensive lineman Laremy Tunsil, now with the Miami Dolphins, was one of the players declared ineligible. He played in seven wins in 2013, now vacated, but sat out the first seven games of the 2015 while his eligibility was reviewed. He was then ruled ineligible and missed the rest of the season.

Nutt will now have 18 wins instead of 24 on the official record, and Freeze 12 wins instead of 39.

Mississippi had already served a two-year postseason ban in 2017 and 2018 and was given three years of probation, through 2020, as well as scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions in sanctions handed down more than a year ago.

Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Ex-Houston coach Major Applewhite to be analyst for Alabama

Published

on

By

Ex-Houston coach Major Applewhite to be analyst for Alabama

Former Houston coach Major Applewhite will join Alabama‘s program as an analyst this season, AL.com reported on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

Sports

Purdue student walks 100 miles, raises $20K in honor of superfan Tyler Trent

Published

on

By

Purdue student walks 100 miles, raises $20K in honor of superfan Tyler Trent

Purdue superfan Tyler Trent, who died in early January from a rare form of bone cancer, was honored Tuesday by a fellow Boilermaker who completed a near-100-mile walk from West Lafayette, Indiana, to Bloomington for the team’s game against the rival Indiana Hoosiers, raising more than $20,000 in the process.

Purdue student Aaron Lai announced the walk on Jan. 20 in an effort to raise awareness for Trent’s story and cancer research. Lai never met Trent but says he reminded him of his grandfather, who had lung cancer.

Many first learned about Trent and his connection to the Boilermakers football team when he correctly predicted Purdue’s upset of Ohio State on Oct. 20 during a feature on him on ESPN’s College GameDay.

Lai began his trek before dawn Sunday morning from West Lafayette.

He arrived three days and 99.6 miles later at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, some 40 minutes before Purdue-Indiana tipped off. Tyler’s parents, Tony and Kelly Trent, were there to welcome him.

Kelly Trent took to Twitter to show her gratitude:

“What an amazing young man you are and what an accomplishment. Just WOW! Words are inadequate for our gratefulness for your sacrifice.”

As of Tuesday night, Lai’s Go Fund Me — “A Walk for Tyler Trent” — had raised more than $21,000, easily surpassing its $10,000 goal. Money raised would benefit the Tyler Trent Cancer Research Endowment, and will be matched by the Walter Foundation, according to Lai.

Purdue won Tuesday night’s game on a tip-in with 3.2 seconds left, beating Indiana 48-46.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tiafoe crashes out, Del Potro advances at Delray Beach Open

Published

on

By

Tiafoe crashes out, Del Potro advances at Delray Beach Open

(Reuters) – Frances Tiafoe’s title defense wilted but Juan Martin del Potro looked fully recovered from his knee injury to cruise to a 6-3 7-5 win over Yoshihito Nishioka in the first round of the Delray Beach Open on Tuesday.

FILE PHOTO – Tennis – Australian Open – Quarter-final – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia, January 22, 2019. Frances Tiafoe of the U.S. in action during the match against Spain’s Rafael Nadal. REUTERS/Aly Song

The third-seeded Tiafoe looked to have the match against qualifier Dan Evans in hand when he served up 6-5 and 30-love in the second set but was instead broken by Evans, whose aggressive net play frustrated Tiafoe in the final two sets as the Briton eventually prevailed 3-6 7-6(1) 7-5.

Late drama arose when Evans served for the match up 5-4 in the third set but nerves appeared to get to him and he was broken amid a flurry of unforced errors.

But Tiafoe was broken in the next game and Evans made sure not to make the same mistake twice, winning his final service game at love to set up a second-round match against tournament wild card Lloyd Harris of South Africa.

World number four del Potro, who missed last month’s Australian Open to nurse the kneecap he fractured at the Shanghai Masters, showed no ill effects in his first match of the year as he blasted 12 aces to see off baseline specialist Nishioka.

The hard-hitting Argentine is looking to pick up where he left off before the injury, when his superb play made him a finalist at the U.S. and China Opens and helped the 30-year-old reach a career-high ranking of world number three.

Del Potro, who won the tournament in Florida in 2011, will next face big-serving American Reilly Opelka after last week’s New York Open champion saw off countryman Tennys Sandgren 6-4 6-0 earlier in the day.

Top American men’s player John Isner used his blistering serve to overwhelm Canadian Peter Polansky 6-3 7-6(4) and advance to the second round.

The second-seeded Isner fired 23 aces to Polansky’s four and won 87 percent of his first serve points as he cruised to victory.

Next up for Isner is a second-round meeting with unseeded Slovak Lukas Lacko on Wednesday.

Adrian Mannarino, Andreas Seppi, Paolo Lorenzi, Jordan Thompson, Steve Johnson, Mackenzie McDonald, Guillermo Garcia-Lopez and Radu Albot also won their first round matches on Tuesday at the ATP World Tour 250 event, which is played on outdoor hard courts.

Reporting by Rory Carroll; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending