Connect with us

Politics

House Oversight Committee to vote on possible Kellyanne Conway subpoena over Hatch Act controversy

Published

on

House Oversight Committee to vote on possible Kellyanne Conway subpoena over Hatch Act controversy

The House Oversight Committee plans to vote Wednesday on whether to subpoena White House counselor Kellyanne Conway following a government watchdog’s finding that she violated the Hatch Act.

In a memo sent to the White House, the committee said it “will hold a hearing to examine the recommendation of the independent Office of Special Counsel (OSC) that President Trump remove Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway from federal service, as well as reports by OSC about Ms. Conway and other Trump Administration appointees.” The memo continued: “The Committee also will hold a business meeting to consider a subpoena in the event that Ms. Conway does not appear.”

The OSC recommended earlier in June that Conway be fired from the federal government for violating the Hatch Act on “numerous occasions.” The Hatch Act is a federal law that limits certain political activities of federal employees.

FOX NEWS EXCLUSIVE: WATCHDOG DEFENDS DECISION TO CALL FOR CONWAY’S TERMINATION

The OSC, which is separate from the office with a similar name previously run by Robert Mueller, said in a scathing report that Conway violated the Hatch Act by “disparaging Democratic presidential candidates while speaking in her official capacity during television interviews and on social media.

“Ms. Conway’s violations, if left unpunished, would send a message to all federal employees that they need not abide by the Hatch Act’s restrictions. Her actions thus erode the principal foundation of our democratic system—the rule of law,” the OSC said in a statement, noting that Conway has been a “repeat offender.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The White House, however, has stood by Conway – calling the OSC ruling “unprecedented” and suggesting it was politically influenced.

“The Office of Special Counsel’s (OSC) unprecedented actions against Kellyanne Conway are deeply flawed and violate her constitutional rights to free speech and due process. Others, of all political views, have objected to the OSC’s unclear and unevenly applied rules which have a chilling effect on free speech for all federal employees,” White House Deputy Press Secretary Steven Groves said in a statement.

Groves added: “Its decisions seem to be influenced by media pressure and liberal organizations – and perhaps OSC should be mindful of its own mandate to act in a fair, impartial, non-political manner, and not misinterpret or weaponize the Hatch Act.”

Fox News’ Brooke Singman contributed to this report. 

Politics

CBP rebuked by watchdog, whistleblowers for ‘failure’ to collect DNA from migrant detainees

Published

on

By

CBP rebuked by watchdog, whistleblowers for 'failure' to collect DNA from migrant detainees

EXCLUSIVE: A top government watchdog has joined whistleblowers in rebuking U.S. Customs and Border Protection for allegedly failing to collect DNA from detained migrants so the samples could be checked against an FBI database for violent crimes.

“U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and illegal aliens in this country are and have been harmed due to our agency not collecting DNA,” Mike Taylor, one of the government whistleblowers, told Fox News.

The whistleblowers specifically alleged that the DNA pilot program was put on hold during the Obama administration, and efforts to implement it under the Trump administration were derailed.

“There is no current pilot program. It’s basically dead in the water,” fellow whistleblower Fred Wynn said.

The whistleblowers filed a complaint in May 2018 with the Office of Special Counsel (which is separate from Robert Mueller’s former office with the same name). On Monday, after inquiries from Fox News, the Office of Special Counsel issued a rare statement.

“OSC fully supports these whistleblowers. While OSC does not typically comment on open investigations, we do want to point out that in this case, the Special Counsel determined there was a substantial likelihood of wrongdoing by CBP for its failure to collect DNA from undocumented detainees and arrestees,” spokesman Zachary Kurz said in the statement.

He said given the “serious law enforcement” and public safety implications, Special Counsel Henry J. Kerner even met with former Acting CBP Commissioner John Sanders and current Deputy Commissioner Bob Perez “urging them to revisit the decision not to collect DNA from CBP detainees and arrestees.”

The OSC statement backed in large part what the whistleblowers exclusively told Fox News about the DNA program that apparently was stalled from the start.

Records shared by the whistleblowers indicated that the program did not go forward under the Obama administration, after then-Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano got a waiver in 2010 from then-Attorney General Eric Holder, citing “severe organizational, resource and financial challenges.”

While the Obama administration put the original testing program on hold, the whistleblowers claimed the project was never meant to be on hold permanently. They said that in 2016 they were assigned to the DNA pilot program but ran into further blocks.

Unlike DNA kits that test whether individuals apprehended at the border are family members, the whistleblowers said the CBP pilot project was designed to take a larger DNA sample that would be run against the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), which covers violent crimes including sexual assault and rape.

Mark Jones alleged that during a 2018 Homeland Security conference call, officials discussed designing the program to be unsuccessful.

“The folks in that conference call said, we’ll pick places we can make it fail,” he said, adding that’s what prompted them to reach out to the watchdog agency.

Jones lamented the implications of not taking the DNA program seriously.

“We have a great tool that was mandated by and approved by Congress as a law and we’re not using it,” Jones said. “We are allowing ourselves to apprehend individuals and process them and by not taking the DNA sample, we’re not giving our law enforcement — both state and federal — the additional tool to solve these outstanding crimes.”

Wynn added: “We can speculate that the kind of people who are getting through are the people who have a very good reason for wanting to evade detection, and that suggests individuals with criminal past.”

The whistleblowers demonstrated to Fox News how the old DNA testing kits were time-consuming and involved taking blood, while the new kits relied on a cheek swab and took under a minute.

Their allegations also raised questions about statements and actions at the senior levels of DHS.

Last spring, then-Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was peppered with questions on Capitol Hill about the program. Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pa., had pressed Nielsen on the DNA collection of “non-U.S. persons being detained under the United States laws,” calling it a “requirement.”

“We’re working on the pilot right now,” Nielsen assured him. “We’re in the planning stages and doing it in batches. Some of it is processing. We want to make sure we have the chain of custody.”

But that same month, whistleblowers said, there was a DHS conference call sealing the program’s fate — though they did not identify the participants by name.

Internal emails reviewed by Fox News raised questions about what now-Acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan knew. At the time of Nielsen’s testimony, in April 2018, McAleenan was head of CBP with direct responsibility.

The emails indicated that in February 2018, one of Nielsen’s senior staffers was alerted to the program’s troubled status. The whistleblowers said Nielsen backed the program and wanted progress.

Last week, Fox News asked a spokesman for the department if McAleenan discussed the issue with Nielsen in 2018, and what steps he took, if any, to implement the program or halt it. On Monday, the department would not comment on leadership discussions but issued a statement saying the program remained on hold.

“In response to further inquiries specific to the DNA collection for CODIS; CBP in coordination with DHS has explored and evaluated the DNA program in relation to the DNA collection for inclusion into CODIS. Upon review, it’s been determined that the exceptions noted in the 2010 waiver remain unchanged. There are currently no plans to change this waiver but DHS is moving forward on a DNA testing pilot to verify familial relationships,” a DHS official said in the statement to Fox News.

According to records reviewed by Fox News, CBP previously had maintained that the nearly-decade-old waiver – from the Obama administration – was still in place, the agency would need another waiver to kick-start the DNA program and detainees were transferred to other government agencies which then took the DNA.

The whistleblowers cast doubt on the last claim. “We know ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) is not collecting… far from collecting DNA from everyone we turn over to them. The numbers are very low, single-digit percentage,” Taylor said.

While the OSC has since weighed in, Kurz said the office did not have authority to conduct its own investigation – but rather, would refer allegations to other agencies and then review a final report.

“OSC is awaiting CBP’s written response to matters discussed in that meeting before continuing with its review of this matter,” Kurz said of the meeting Kerner had with CBP leaders. “Once the investigation is complete, documents associated with this case will be transmitted to the President and Congress, and will be made publicly available on OSC’s website.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump meets with tech CEOs on Huawei

Published

on

By

Civil rights groups sue Tennessee over law imposing new penalties on voter registration

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump met on Monday with the chief executives of seven technology companies and he agreed with their request for timely licensing decisions from the Commerce Department on blacklisted Chinese firm Huawei Technologies, the White House said.

“The CEOs expressed strong support of the President’s policies, including national security restrictions on United States telecom equipment purchases and sales to Huawei,” a White House statement said. “They requested timely licensing decisions from the Department of Commerce, and the President agreed,” it said.

The CEOs of Micron Technology Inc, Western Digital Corp, Qualcomm Inc, Alphabet Inc’s Google, Cisco Systems Inc, Intel Corp and Broadcom Inc attended the meeting, the statement said.

Reporting by Eric Beech; Editing by Mohammad Zargham

Continue Reading

Politics

Bipartisan House group introduces bill to help those with crippling student debt

Published

on

By

Bipartisan group in House introduces bill to help those with crippling student debt

A bipartisan group on Monday introduced a bill in the House of Representatives to help those with crippling student loan debt avoid default.

Sponsored by Rep. Suzanne Bonamici, D-Ore., the representatives say their legislation will help people avoid such consequences as wage garnishments and a loss of Social Security benefits.

Bonamici and the legislation’s co-sponsors — Reps. Paul Mitchell, R-Mich., Brian Fitzpatrick, R-Pa., and Seth Moulton, D-Mass. — aim to help people who can’t afford full loan payments, have defaulted before, are in danger of default or have disabilities.

“Student loan defaults have damaging consequences for borrowers that can last a significant period of time,” Fitzpatrick said. “An investment in one’s education should not lead to long-term financial distress, and borrowers deserve more efficient access to the tools already at their disposal under the law.”

SCHOOL DISTRICT WARNS: PAY LUNCH BILL OR KIDS MAY GO INTO FOSTER CARE

Automating the process borrowers use to access benefits is the key to preventing defaults, the representatives say, because so many are unaware of the options available to them or fail to register for programs.

The Streamlining Income-driven, Manageable Payments on Loans for Education Act — or The SIMPLE Act — would require the Department of Education to use income and other information from the Treasury Department to verify individuals’ eligibility for these programs so they don’t have to do the paperwork themselves.

As an example, the summary of the bill points out “permanently and totally disabled” borrowers can be released from their student loan payments, but they have to submit paperwork over a three-year period to certify their disability. Otherwise, their loans are reinstated.

PENCE’S MYSTERIOUSLY CANCELED NH TRIP LINKED TO PRESENCE OF SUSPECTED DRUG DEALER

Ninety-eight percent of the 61,000 disabled borrowers who had their loans reinstated in 2015 did so because they didn’t submit the paperwork, the representatives say.

The bill would also automatically register those who have defaulted before or are on their way toward default in income-driven payment plans that allow people to pay back their loans based on their financial ability to do so.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The lawmakers say those who are in income-driven payment plans are five times less likely to default on their loans than those who aren’t.

Bonamici and Moulton introduced a version of the SIMPLE Act in 2017 with two different sponsors but the bill never made it out of committee.

Fox News’ Tyler Olson contributed to this report. 

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending