Connect with us

Entertainment

George Clooney defends Meghan Markle, slams media scrutiny: ‘It’s history repeating itself’

Published

on

George Clooney defends Meghan Markle, slams media scrutiny: ‘It’s history repeating itself’

George Clooney is standing up for Meghan Markle.

The 57-year-old actor, who was busy promoting his upcoming Hulu series “Catch-22” at the Television Critics Association conference in Pasadena, Calif., took time to slam the way that the 37-year-old has been treated by the press since becoming a member of the British royal family.

“They’re just chasing Meghan Markle everywhere, she’s been pursued and vilified,” Clooney told reporters on Monday, as reported by The Associated Press. “She’s a woman who is seven months pregnant and she has been pursued and vilified and chased in the same way that [Princess] Diana was and it’s history repeating itself.”

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MEGHAN MARKLE’S BABY

Princess Diana with her son Prince Harry.

Princess Diana with her son Prince Harry.
(Reuters)

“We’ve seen how that ends,” warned Clooney.

Diana died in a car crash while being pursued by paparazzi in 1997 at age 36.

Clooney and his wife Amal attended Markle’s wedding to Diana’s son, Prince Harry, last year.

Australia’s Who magazine also claimed the actor clarified whether or not he will be the new royal baby’s godfather.

“Oh yes, I’ll be godfather of the royals apparently,” he reportedly remarked. Clooney stressed he was joking and declared “No!”

“I’m the father of twins, I have enough s— to deal with — literally!” he said.

Amal Clooney and George Clooney arrive for the wedding ceremony of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at St. George's Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, near London, England, Saturday, May 19, 2018. (Gareth Fuller/pool photo via AP)

Amal Clooney and George Clooney arrive for the wedding ceremony of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, near London, England, Saturday, May 19, 2018. (Gareth Fuller/pool photo via AP)
(Gareth Fuller/pool photo via AP)

MEGHAN MARKLE IS ‘AT HER WIT’S END’

Amal, 41, gave birth to daughter Ella and son Alexander in June 2017.

Markle is due to give birth to her first child with Harry, 34, sometime in the spring of this year.

Clooney’s statements come on the same day sources close to the former “Suits” star told Vanity Fair she is “at her wit’s end” over her father’s decision to speak with the media despite pleading him to stop.

Kensington Palace has declined to comment on Thomas Markle’s decision to leak the handwritten letter the American actress wrote to him in the wake of her wedding to Harry.

The 74-year-old told UK’s Daily Mail he originally planned to keep the letter “totally private out of respect” until her friends “launched their attack” on him last week about the reported rift he has with his famous daughter, who officially became the Duchess of Sussex in May 2018.

Meghan Markle is "playing a dangerous game" with her father, Thomas, a royal biographer claims.

Meghan Markle is “playing a dangerous game” with her father, Thomas, a royal biographer claims.
(Mega/Reuters)

Sources close to Markle told the magazine she has no plans to comment on the letter being released out of fear “it could escalate an already difficult situation.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“She cares for her dad, and has concerns for him and his mental health, which is one of the reasons she doesn’t want to comment on this,” said a source. “It’s a very complex, very emotional situation, and let’s not forget she is seven months pregnant.”

The source added Markle is “devastated” the former Hollywood lighting director has once again chosen to betray her privacy.

In the letter, Markle begged the patriarch to stop talking to the press so they could attempt to work out their differences.

Vanity Fair also learned Queen Elizabeth II is also concerned about the situation between Markle and Thomas. A family friend told the publication that the monarch is not only aware of the family rift, but has urged Markle and her grandson to try to sort out the situation.

Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex

Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
(Getty)

“She told them both that the whole thing was becoming a nightmare, and that they should try and sort things out,” claimed the friend.

Buckingham Palace has refused to comment on the claim.

Those close to the couple also shared that Thomas’ decision to speak out to the press once more has likely cost him any chance to reconcile with his distraught daughter. They insisted Harry is “angry” and “upset” that his father-in-law, whom he has never met, is still speaking to the press.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Lorraine Warren dies at 92; paranormal investigator inspired ‘The Conjuring’ films

Published

on

By

Lorraine Warren dies at 92; paranormal investigator inspired 'The Conjuring' films

World-wide paranormal investigator and author Lorraine Warren, whose decades of ghost-hunting cases with her late husband inspired such frightening films as “The Conjuring” series and “The Amityville Horror,” died. She was 92.

Warren’s son-in-law Tony Spera and grandson Chris McKinnell posted Friday on Facebook that Warren died in her sleep Thursday night at her Connecticut home. Phone messages and emails were left with several of Warren’s family members. Warren’s attorney, Gary Barkin, confirmed his client’s death via email to The Associated Press.

AMERICA’S FIRST WOMAN ASTRONAUT CANDIDATE DEAD AT 88

“She was a remarkable, loving, compassionate and giving soul,” Spera wrote.

The Warrens founded the New England Society for Psychic Research in Monroe, Connecticut, in 1952 to investigate suspected hauntings. The group also posted of her passing on Facebook.

During their 61 years of marriage, Lorraine and Ed Warren investigated more than 10,000 cases in the U.S. and abroad, often writing about their experiences. Their unusual profession has been credited with sparking popular interest in the paranormal, as well as the television shows and films now dedicated to the subject.

“When nobody was really even talking about ghosts, they were just two people from Bridgeport, Connecticut, who came together and fell in love and Ed happened to have had a lot of paranormal instances when he was growing up and Lorraine was always the sensitive clairvoyant,” said Larry Dwyer, a staff writer at the Horror News Network, a website that covers the horror film industry. He said the couple realized they could use their “gifts” and Catholic faith to help people who believed they were being tormented by ghosts or demons.

Ed Warren died in 2006 and Spera now oversees the New England Society for Psychic Research. The organization’s website said Lorraine Warren had “decided to retire from active investigations regarding the areas of haunted homes and demonic infestations/possessions” but was still a consultant to the organization at the time of her death.

The Warrens’ work did receive criticism from doubters over the years. The New England Skeptical Society in 1997 said the Warrens’ “copious anecdotal evidence” of reports of hauntings vastly outnumbered their “low-grade physical evidence.”

Warren told The AP in a 2013 interview that she understood it was very difficult for people to accept she could see ghosts if they had never seen one themselves.

“I hope you never will,” she said. “I really don’t.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

The 2013 film “The Conjuring” is based on the couple’s investigation into alleged events at a Rhode Island farmhouse in the 1970s. Lorraine Warren visited the set during the filming. She also spent time at her Connecticut home with actress Vera Farmiga, who portrays Warren in the movie and its sequels. Farmiga expressed her condolences on Twitter Friday, saying she was “blessed to have known” Warren and “honored to portray her.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

NFL’s Danny Amendola lashes out at ex Olivia Culpo after reports of her getting cozy with Zed

Published

on

By

NFL's Danny Amendola lashes out at ex Olivia Culpo after reports of her getting cozy with Zed

Detroit Lions wide receiver Danny Amendola slammed ex-girlfriend Olivia Culpo in a lengthy Instagram post Friday following reports that the former Miss Universe was cuddling up to Russian-German DJ Zed at Coachella.

OLIVIA CULPO, EX DANNY AMENDOLA REUNITE AT WEDDING

In the post, which has since been deleted, the 33-year-old slammed Culpo, 26, for her “fishbowl lifestyle,” explaining that he chooses to nail up picture frames of the people he loves the most inside his home to protect them from ridicule rather than post about them online.

“Olivia chooses and wants to be noticed on the internet and in Hollywood to make money,” Amendola said, claiming her need for media attention was hard for him to understand because he plays ball “for one reason and that’s RESPECT.”

Amendola said he and Culpo both made mistakes during the course of their “loving relationship” and mentioned their “crazy” sex life. The football star said Culpo often got angry with him for not posting about their romance on social media.

He added that he chooses to live outside the public’s critical eye even though he has “a whole cell phone of funny, embarrassing, sexy pics IG would love to have.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“We’ve been off and on for a long time and have not been together as of late!” he wrote, concluding his post with a jab at media reports of Culpo with other men, including a video circulating of Culpo with Zed during Ariana Grande’s set at Coachella, E! News reported.

“Not sure what’s in the future but the only thing I care about is her HAPPINESS. And if that’s dancing with scrony [sic] little f—, so be it.”

Amendola signed a contract with the Lions in March after previously playing for the Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams, New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Seagram’s heiress Clare Bronfman pleads guilty to conspiracy charges in NXIVM sex cult case

Published

on

By

Seagram's heiress Clare Bronfman pleads guilty to conspiracy charges in NXIVM sex cult case

Seagram’s liquor heiress Clare Bronfman pleaded guilty on Friday in a widely publicized case accusing a cult-like upstate New York group of creating a secret harem of sex slaves for the group’s self-anointed spiritual leader.

Donning a beige blouse and blue pants, along with a blue and white scarf, Bronfman, 40, admitted in her plea in federal court in Brooklyn that she harbored someone who was living in the U.S. illegally for unpaid “labor and services” and that she committed credit card fraud on behalf of Keith Raniere, the spiritual leader of the group NXIVM.

ALLISON MACK PLEADS GUILTY TO RACKETEERING CHARGES IN NXIVM CASE

The daughter of the late billionaire philanthropist and former Seagram chairman Edgar Bronfman Sr. — told the judge that she had wanted to help people through NXIVM but ended up dishonoring her family.

Clare Bronfman, left, arrives at Federal court with her attorney Mark Geragos in the Brooklyn borough of New York, Friday, April 19, 2019. Bronfman has pleaded guilty to charges implicating her in a sex-trafficking conspiracy case against an upstate New York self-help group. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Clare Bronfman, left, arrives at Federal court with her attorney Mark Geragos in the Brooklyn borough of New York, Friday, April 19, 2019. Bronfman has pleaded guilty to charges implicating her in a sex-trafficking conspiracy case against an upstate New York self-help group. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

“Your honor, I was afforded a great gift by my grandfather and father,” Bronfman said. “With the gift, comes immense privilege and more importantly, tremendous responsibility. It does not come with an ability to break the law.”

‘SMALLVILLE’ STAR ALLISON MACK CITES SCIENTOLOGY AS A DEFENSE IN SEX TRAFFICKING CASE

She added: “For this, I am truly sorry.”

As part of a plea agreement, Bronfman agreed to forfeit $6 million in addition to paying restitution to unnamed victims. She faces up to 27 months in prison at her sentencing scheduled for July 25.

Last week, former “Smallville” actress Allison Mack pleaded guilty in the same Brooklyn federal court to racketeering charges in relation to the cultlike group. Mack entered her plea shortly before jury selection was scheduled to start.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The plea means Bronfman and Mack will avoid going to trial early next month with Raniere, who is facing conspiracy charges alleging that his inner circle of loyalists created a secret society of women who were forced to have unwanted sex with him. Prosecutors say some of the women were branded with his initials as part of their initiation.

According to prosecutors, Bronfman had long been affiliated with NXIVM — giving away tens of millions of dollars of her fortune to bankroll Raniere and his program of intense self-improvement classes. She also paid for lawyers to defend the group against a lawsuit brought by its critics.

Fox News’ Tyler McCarthy and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending