Egyptian telecom billionaire Naguib Sawiris on Tuesday praised President Trump for standing up to China on trade and backed the U.S. over security concerns about Chinese tech giant Huawei.
Both Washington and Beijing have been embroiled in a six-month trade standoff that caused financial instability across the world and put a strain on U.S.-China relationship.
The conflict primarily stems from the Trump administration’s demand that China stops taking predatory actions in trade, including intellectual theft and forced handover of technology by U.S. companies. China has also been accused of unfairly subsidizing its own tech companies.
But the richest man in Egypt believes Trump is right to pursue a tough course of actions against China, saying the Asian superpower has been ignored for way too long.
“President Trump is right about that: This has been a long time where we closed eyes on China raping us. So, by the time you come and tell them, ‘You need to change,’ I mean, they just used to be so comfortable and do whatever they want,” Sawiris told CNBC.
“But I think the leadership is smart, so they will change what they can change. If you tell them, ‘You need to change your whole system,’ they won’t be doing that,” he continued.
“So we need to see what we can get without disrupting their system,” Sawiris added, pointing out that he sees the potential for positive change in the U.S.-China trade talks.
“President Trump is right about that: This has been a long time where we closed eyes on China raping us. So, by the time you come and tell them, ‘You need to change,’ I mean, they just used to be so comfortable and do whatever they want.”
The White House said last month that while the two sides made progress in trade talks, “much work remains to be done,” signaling that the deal with China is far from done. Trump said he will meet with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping to resolve the issue.
The Trump administration reiterated that it’s keeping the Mar. 1 deadline to come up with a deal, otherwise it would slap on punitive import taxes on $200 billion in Chinese goods.
Sawiris, who made his fortune in telecommunications, also told CNBC that officials have a right to worry about allowing Huawei operate in their countries, adding that the U.S. has a genuine concern about the Chinese tech giant’s technology.
The U.S. banned Huawei from selling products in the country. The Trump administration recently accused the company of using a Hong Kong shell company to sell equipment in Iran in violation of U.S. sanctions.
“I think there is genuine concern, and I think it’s justified,” Sawiris said. “It’s actually taking the West very long to — I mean, you know, telecom was my domain — to get worried. I think they should be worried.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
McCabe says ‘it’s possible’ Trump’s a Russian asset
McCabe has said in the past that the FBI had a good reason to open up a counterintelligence investigation into whether Trump was working with Russia and a possible national security threat.
The former official was on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360” when he was asked if he believes Trump may still be a Russian asset. He said he’s “anxious” to see the conclusion of special prosecutor Robert Mueller’s investigation.
He was also asked if he believes Trump is fit to serve and said it is not up to him to make the determination.
Gowdy challenges McCabe’s claim congressional leaders didn’t object to Russia counterintelligence probe
Former congressman and Fox News contributor Trey Gowdy disputed former acting FBI director Andrew McCabe’s claim Tuesday that congressional leaders didn’t object to the bureau’s counterintelligence investigation over President Trump’s Russia ties.
“The reason he’s doing it this way is that [Rep. Devin Nunes, R-Calif.] and [former House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis.] are not allowed to discuss anything that’s said in a ‘Gang of Eight’ meeting and McCabe knows that,” Gowdy said on “The Story with Martha MacCallum.” “So he can level the accusation and Devin and Paul cannot refute him.” Nunes chaired the House Intelligence Committee from 2015-19.
McCabe, in an appearance on NBC’s “Today” show Tuesday morning, said no members of the “Gang of Eight,” a bipartisan group of House and Senate leaders, including Nunes and Ryan, objected to the investigation.
“I told Congress what we had done,” McCabe told Savannah Guthrie.
“Did anyone object?” Guthrie asked.
“That’s the important part here, Savannah,” McCabe replied. “No one objected. Not on legal grounds, not on constitutional grounds and not based on the facts.”
Gowdy, formerly a member of the House Judiciary Committee, said he believed McCabe wasn’t telling the truth and that Nunes and Ryan did not know about a second investigation.
“There were three investigations into a duly elected president. The Peter Strzok one from July of 2016 and then McCabe started a counterintelligence [probe] and if he’s telling the truth, started a criminal probe into the president of the United States,” Gowdy told Martha MacCallum.
“I listened to Devin and Paul quiz the [Justice Department] and the FBI for hours on multiple occasions about the one counterintelligence investigation, we all knew about it. I find it stunning that they would know about a second one and not say a single solitary word.”
Gowdy also addressed former FBI Director James Comey’s May 2017 firing and McCabe’s belief that the president was trying to shut down the Russia investigation.
“If thinking that Jim Comey is not a good FBI director is tantamount to being an agent of Russia then just list all the people that are agents of Russia. [Senate Minority Leader] Chuck Schumer, [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi, [Deputy Attorney General] Rod Rosenstein…,” Gowdy said.
Fox News’ Martha MacCallum contributed to this report.
Trump, Giuliani deny president tried obstructing Michael Cohen investigation
President Trump’s attorney, Rudolph Giuliani, denied a New York Times report that Trump asked then-Acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker whether U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman, a presidential ally, could be put in charge of the investigation into alleged wrongdoing by Trump’s onetime personal attorney Michael Cohen.
“The president said today he had no such conversation with the acting AG, and I believe Mr. Whitaker issued a statement to the same effect,” Giuliani said in a statement late Tuesday. “The rest of the piece is just a regurgitation of previously refuted obstruction theories. They all fail as obstruction because as [Harvard Law] Professor [Alan] Dershowitz’s recent book and many other authorities make clear, all of the alleged actions were within the president’s sole discretion under Article II of the U.S. Constitution.”
The Times report said that Whitaker told Trump that he could not put Berman in charge of the Cohen investigation because he had already recused himself from that matter. The paper claimed that Trump “soured” on Whitaker and “complained about his inability to pull levers at the Justice Department that could make the president’s many legal problems go away.”
Trump denied the story at the White House Tuesday afternoon, referring to the Times report as “more fake news” and saying that he had a “very good” relationship with Whitaker, who was replaced last week by William Barr.
“I have a lot of respect for Mr. Whitaker. I think he’s done a great job,” Trump said. He said Whitaker was “a very fine man, and he should be given a lot of thanks by our nation.”
Justice Department spokesperson Kerri Kupec referred to testimony Whitaker gave to the House Judiciary Committee earlier this month.
“Under oath to the House Judiciary Committee, then-Acting Attorney General Whitaker stated that ‘at no time has the White House asked for nor have I provided any promises or commitments concerning the special counsel’s investigation or any other investigation,'” Kupec said. “Mr. Whitaker stands by his testimony.”
Berman was named acting U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York in January 2018 by the AG at that time, Jeff Sessions. Berman was appointed to the position indefinitely by the panel’s judges three months later.
Prosecutors in the Southern District say Trump directed Cohen to make illegal hush-money payments to two women — adult film star Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal — in order to keep them quiet about alleged sexual encounters with them dating back more than a decade and coming soon after he’d married his current wife, Melania. Cohen is scheduled to report to prison next month to begin a three-year sentence after pleading guilty this past August to campaign finance and other violations.
Cohen is also scheduled to appear before the House Intelligence Committee on Feb. 28. His attorney, Lanny Davis, has said that Cohen also plans to testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee and the House Oversight Committee before the end of this month. In November, Cohen pleaded guilty to lying under oath to the Senate Intelligence Committee as part of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s ongoing investigation into alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russian officials.
Fox News’ John Roberts and Jake Gibson contributed to this report.
Indiana falls off the bubble
LendingClub forecasts bigger-than-expected first-quarter loss
MLB putting new rules in place to curtail sign stealing
Image recognition startup ViSenze raises $20M Series C – TechCrunch
Top seed Thiem knocked out of Rio Open in first round
Tesla prepares to offer Model 3 leasing to boost demand: Electrek
ChargePoint gives Europe equal billing in electric car grid plan
NHL roundup: Lightning overwhelm Devils
Bucks vs. Warriors – Game Summary – November 8, 2018
‘Avengers,’ ‘Captain America’ star Hayley Atwell nude photos hacked: report
‘Fantastic Beasts’ flies to top of weekend box office
Former Obama official says Georgia gov-elect not ‘normal head of the state’
Like Us On Facebook
Politics2 days ago
North Carolina board to hear evidence on election fraud claim
Tech1 day ago
Apple partners with Oakland nonprofit Dream Corps on Swift coding initiative – TechCrunch
Entertainment17 hours ago
‘Daily Show’ host Trevor Noah: Jussie Smollett deserves an Emmy for ‘GMA’ interview
Politics1 day ago
New York, California, 14 other states sue Trump in Ninth Circuit over emergency declaration
Entertainment3 hours ago
Cook County state’s attorney recuses herself from Jussie Smollett case
Entertainment1 day ago
Wrestler Chyna, D-Generation X announced for WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Politics2 days ago
Trump policies unite allies against him at European security forum
Entertainment2 days ago
‘Alita: Battle Angel’ leads box office bombs in slowest Presidents Day weekend in nearly 20 years