Connect with us

Entertainment

Disney announces price and date of new streaming service

Published

on

Disney announces price and date of new streaming service

BURBANK, Calif. (Reuters) – Walt Disney Co on Thursday said its new family-friendly streaming service will cost $7 monthly or $70 annually with a slate of exclusive TV shows and movies from some of the world’s most popular entertainment franchises in a bid to challenge the digital dominance of Netflix.

FILE PHOTO: Disney characters Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse attend the 25th anniversary of Disneyland Paris at the park in Marne-la-Vallee, near Paris, France, April 12, 2017. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo

The ad-free monthly subscription called Disney+ is set to launch on Nov. 12 and in every major global market over time, the company said. In addition to Disney films and TV shows, it will feature programming from the Marvel superhero universe, the “Star Wars” galaxy, “Toy Story” creator Pixar animation and the National Geographic channel.

The company said it has struck deals with Roku Inc and Sony Corp to distribute Disney+ on streaming devices and console gaming systems and expects it to be widely available on smart televisions, tablets, and other outlets by launch.

Disney kicked off its presentation to Wall Street analysts at its Burbank, California, headquarters on Thursday with a video that demonstrated the breadth of its portfolio, showing clips from dozens of classic TV shows and movies from “Frozen” and “The Lion King” to “Avatar” and “The Sound of Music.”

Executives said they see opportunities to take its ESPN+ sport streaming video service to Latin America and are looking into international expansion of its Hulu streaming video business, which offers movies and shows targeted to adults.

The entertainment giant is trying to transform itself from a cable television powerhouse into a leader of streaming media. Chief Executive Bob Iger in February called streaming the company’s “No. 1 priority.”

Wall Street has pinned high hopes on the new service, which analysts expect would cost about $7.50 monthly and lure about 7.2 million U.S. subscribers in 2020 and 13.66 million by 2021, according to a poll of analysts conducted by Reuters.

The digital push is Disney’s response to cord-cutting, the dropping of cable service that has hit its ESPN sports network and other channels, and the rise of Netflix Inc. The Silicon Valley upstart has amassed 139 million customers worldwide since it began streaming 12 years ago.

The Mouse House, as Disney is known, will join the market at a time when audiences are facing a host of choices, and monthly bills, for digital entertainment. Apple Inc, AT&T Inc’s WarnerMedia and others plan new streaming services.

To bolster its potential digital portfolio, Disney recently purchased film and TV assets from Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox and gained prized properties such as “Avatar.”

In a January regulatory filing, Disney reported losses of more than $1 billion for streaming-related investments in Hulu and technology company BAMtech.

Disney had been supplying new movies such as “Black Panther” and “Beauty and the Beast” to Netflix after their runs in theaters but ended that arrangement this year to feed its own streaming ambitions. The company estimated it is foregoing $150 million in licensing revenue this fiscal year by saving programming for its own platforms.

The Disney+ programming will draw in part from Disney’s deep library of classic family films. It also will include exclusive original content such as a live-action “Star Wars” series called “The Mandalorian,” a show focused on Marvel movie villain Loki, and animated “Monsters at Work,” inspired by hit Pixar movie “Monsters Inc.”

Some new Disney movies, such as a “Lady and the Tramp” remake, will go directly to the Disney+ app. Other new releases will appear on Disney+ after their run in theaters and after the cycle out of the home video sales window, executives have said.

Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Lisa Shumaker and Kenneth Li

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Justin Bieber joins Ariana Grande at Coachella for his first public performance in 2 years

Published

on

By

Justin Bieber joins Ariana Grande at Coachella for his first public performance in 2 years

Justin Bieber joined Ariana Grande for a surprise duet at Coachella on Sunday, marking his first onstage performance in two years.

Grande kicked off her second headlining set at the music festival in Indio, Calif., on Sunday with several hits from her albums “Sweetener” and “thank u, next” before bringing out Bieber toward the end, People magazine reported.

“We thought it might be fun to do something for you guys,” Grande said before Bieber got on stage to perform his 2015 hit song “Sorry.”

“I haven’t been on stage in like two years. I came out here I had no idea I was going to be on stage tonight,” Bieber told the Coachella crowd. “So anyways this is my first time on stage in two years. I had to get my groove back, my swag back, you know what I’m saying? So, thank you so much, Coachella. Thank you so much, Ariana Grande. We love you so much, man. Thank you so much.”

“By the way, album coming soon,” he added.

Justin Bieber joined Ariana Grande on stage at Coachella on Sunday.

Justin Bieber joined Ariana Grande on stage at Coachella on Sunday.
(Getty Images)

The “What Do You Mean?” singer also took to Twitter to thank Grande and Coachella.

HAILEY BALDWIN GUSHES ABOUT JUSTIN BIEBER IN INSTAGRAM POST: ‘YOU MAKE ME HAPPIER THAN I’VE EVER BEEN’

“Thank you @ArianaGrande . Thank you @coachella. That felt right. Love you,” the 25-year-old singer wrote.

Bieber last took the stage in July 2017 for his “Purpose” world tour, but he abruptly canceled the final 14 shows “after careful consideration.” He told “Vogue” in February that he decided to stop touring because he got “really depressed.”

“I haven’t talked about this, and I’m still processing so much stuff that I haven’t talked about. I was lonely. I needed some time,” he said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The singer, who got married to Hailey Baldwin in September, also wrote in an Instagram post last month that he was stepping away from music to focus on “repairing” some “deep rooted issues.”

“Music is very important to me but Nothing comes before my family and my health,” Bieber wrote in his post, before going on to promise his 106 million followers that he will return with a “kick a– album ASAP.”

Continue Reading

Entertainment

LeAnn Rimes, Eddie Cibrian celebrate ‘awkward’ Easter with Brandi Glanville

Published

on

By

LeAnn Rimes, Eddie Cibrian celebrate 'awkward' Easter with Brandi Glanville

LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian celebrated Easter with his ex-wife, Brandi Glanville, which was awkward 1 but not for why you’d think.

Rimes, 36, posted a selfie with Cibrian, 45, Glanville, 46, and Cibrian and Glanville’s sons, 15-year-old Mason and 12-year-old Jake.

“Happy Easter LovEs! Our awkward family Easter 🐣 photo/Christmas card?! Lol,” the “Blue” singer wrote. “Today has been a wonderful day. Many blessings to your family from all of us!”

LEANN RIMES OPENS UP ABOUT BLENDED FAMILY WITH EDDIE CIBRIAN AND BRANDI GLANVILLE

LEANN RIMES ADMITS SHE GETS BABY FEVER

She added, “#easter #happyeaster#easter2019 #family#ifyoudonthavesomethingnicetosaypleasemoveon.”

Rimes was also quick to clarify, “*awkward – the way we are standing, not that we are all together. Not awkward at all. #clarity.”

The “Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” star also posted a photo from Easter, hers of Jake and Cibrian, writing, “Happy Easter hanging with the fam in the Bu, I can’t believe how much Jake looks like his dad!!!”

BRANDI GLANVILLE SHOWS OFF NEARLY BARE BEHIND FOR 10-YEAR CHALLENGE

Glanville, Cibrian and Rimes all get along now, but it took a while to get there.

Glanville and Cibrian divorced in 2009 after he embarked on an affair with Rimes while they filmed the Lifetime movie “Northern Lights.” Cibrian and Rimes married in 2011.

BRANDI GLANVILLE: EDDIE CIBRIAN WILL LEAVE LEANN RIMES

BRANDI GLANVILLE SHARES PHOTO WITH LEANN RIMES AFTER YEARS OF FEUDING

Rimes and Glanville feuded for nearly a decade before calling a truce in spring 2018.

Glanville previously explained that she and Rimes had it out at a birthday party for one of her sons and decided to at least be civil with one another.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“I always say if you can’t beat them, join them,” Glanville said. “She’s always going to post family photos, she’s always gonna say ‘my boys,’ she’s always gonna do that and I just have to accept it or I can continue to fight with her, which I don’t want to do.”

Fox News’ Mariah Haas contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jenna Bush Hager announces third pregnancy: ‘I don’t know how I hid this’

Published

on

By

Jenna Bush Hager announces third pregnancy: 'I don't know how I hid this'

Jenna Bush Hager revealed she is expecting her third child with husband, Henry Hager.

The “Today” show co-anchor broke the news on air to a heartwarming reception from her fellow anchors—even receiving a hug from co-host Craig Melvin. “I’m very pregnant… I don’t know how I hid this,” said Hager in her announcement.

Hager also spoke about her daughters—Mila, 6, and Poppy, 3—and their reaction to the big news. The mother of two revealed the pregnancy to her daughters via their Easter baskets, which drew elated reactions from the tots. “They told the man behind me on the airplane. They told the people at church,” Bush Hager said with a laugh. “They’re so happy — to [the point] where they’re telling strangers.”

JENNA BUSH HAGER REMEMBERS GEORGE H.W. BUSH WITH TOUCHING POSTS

Hager also expressed fear when debriefing co-host Hoda Kotb about the pregnancy. “I told Hoda, I said I’m so sorry. She had a glimmer in her eye. Lo and behold, we are doing it at the same time,” said Hager, referring to Hoda’s announcement of her newly-adopted daughter Hope Catherine.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Hager, who is the daughter of former President George W. Bush, has stated that she intends to reveal more details about her forthcoming child, including the gender, on the 10 o’clock hour of the “Today” show. She married Henry Hager in 2008 after meeting him during the 2004 presidential campaign for father.

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending