Connect with us

Entertainment

Cher’s right, illegal immigration’s a ‘devastating problem,’ Katie Pavlich says

Published

on

Cher's right, illegal immigration's a 'devastating problem,' Katie Pavlich says

Fox News contributor Katie Pavlich affirmed a recent tweet from singer Cher, who complained on Sunday that cities like Los Angeles sought to help “struggling immigrants” while their own residents suffered.

“She’s right,” Pavlich said while appearing on “The Story” on Tuesday. “Illegal immigration is a devastating problem when it comes to economics because it’s about limited resources — whether it’s health care, incarceration, police resources …”

Pavlich’s comments came amid a highly charged immigration battle in which government officials struggled to handle the massive influx of immigrants at the southern border where, as Pavlich pointed out earlier in the segment, federal law only allowed migrants to remain in custody for a matter of weeks.

The nation’s immigration system, Pavlich said, created a situation in which governments couldn’t provide for their own people because they had to deal with migrants released from U.S. custody.

HOUSE DEMOCRATS DEMAND DOCUMENTS ON TRUMP ADMINISTRATION’S ‘BIZARRE AND UNLAWFUL’ PROPOSAL TO RELEASE MIGRANTS IN SANCTUARY CITIES

“It’s a matter of governments not being able to provide for people who are citizens in their cities right now, and now we’re dumping thousands of people into those cities and expecting them to have humane conditions for these people.”

President Trump has long stressed the financial cost that illegal immigration inflicts on U.S. communities and, like Cher, he has fretted over the tradeoff on resources for American citizens.

Trump, who has received intense criticism from Cher, tweeted on Monday that he “finally” agreed with the singer.

Amid a political stalemate with Congress over immigration reform, the president proposed placing migrants in sanctuary cities when the law required the U.S. remove them from custody.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FOX NEWS APP

“Due to the fact that Democrats are unwilling to change our very dangerous immigration laws, we are indeed, as reported, giving strong considerations to placing Illegal Immigrants in Sanctuary Cities only,” Trump tweeted last week.

Congressional Democrats attacked that plan as “a bizarre and unlawful attempt to score political points.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

Chris Pratt reveals he’s ‘so thrilled’ to work with re-hired James Gunn on ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3’

Published

on

By

Chris Pratt reveals he's 'so thrilled' to work with re-hired James Gunn on 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3'

Avengers: Endgame” star Chris Pratt is thrilled that he will work with writer and director James Gunn on the third “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie.

Gunn was fired by Disney in July 2018 after decade-old tweets resurfaced in which he joked about topics like pedophilia and rape. Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn told Fox News at the time that the studio had “severed our business relationship” with Gunn. However, the studio reversed that decision in March.

“I was so thrilled, so excited. I think it’s the right move, I really stand behind it,” Pratt, 39, told People. “I’m really proud of Disney for hiring James back and ultimately thrilled for not only us, but also for the fans. I think it’s going to wrap up the trilogy in the best way.”

SCARLETT JOHANSSON SIZZLES IN SILVER AT ‘AVENGERS’ PREMIERE WITH BOYFRIEND COLIN JOST

He continued, “And Guardians of the Galaxy are really all about second chances and giving people an opportunity to be their best. We’re a ragtag squad of people coming together and having each other’s back. I think it really worked out the way it was supposed to, and I feel good about it.”

Pratt was among the eight cast members to share a note with Disney urging it to rehire Gunn in the wake of his controversy. At the time, Gunn had already apologized for his past comments noting that, early on in his career, he tried to be provocative with his comedy and regretted it.

Chris Pratt revealed that he's thrilled to work with director James Gunn again on 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3.'

Chris Pratt revealed that he’s thrilled to work with director James Gunn again on ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3.’
(Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” Gunn wrote at the time. “I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

MARK RUFFALO WAS ASTONISHED TO LEARN THIS FACT ABOUT HIS ‘AVENGERS: ENDGAME’ CO-STAR BRIE LARSON

Disney announced that not only would it work with Gunn again, but it will use his script for “Guardians of the Galaxy 3” as well as reinstate him as director.

“I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the past few months. I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be,” Gunn wrote following his reinstatement. “I deeply appreciate Disney’s decision and I am excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all. I have been and continue to be incredibly humbled by your love and support. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Love to you all.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Before his third adventure with the Guardians, Pratt is expected to appear again in “Avengers: Endgame,” which hits theaters April 26. Meanwhile, Gunn will helm the sequel to “Suicide Squad” for DC and Warner Bros.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Prince estate to release ‘Originals’ album of late legend’s versions of songs he wrote for other artists

Published

on

By

Prince estate to release 'Originals' album of late legend's versions of songs he wrote for other artists

It’s a rare singer-songwriter who can just give away undeniable hits like “Nothing Compares 2 U,” “Manic Monday” and “The Glamorous Life” to other artists, but that’s exactly what Prince did throughout his 40-year career.

And on his birthday, June 7, the late artist’s estate, in partnership with Warner Bros. Records and Tidal, will release “Originals,” a 15-track album featuring 14 previously unreleased recordings by Prince of such songs. The tracks were selected collaboratively by Troy Carter, on behalf of The Prince Estate, and Jay-Z. (The full tracklist appears below.)

Starting June 7, “Originals” will stream exclusively on Tidal for 14 days. The announcement notes, “In the spirit of sharing Prince’s music with his fans as he wanted, the album will be available to stream in Master quality via Tidal’s HiFi subscription tier. Members will be able to hear the recordings just as the Artist intended the tracks to sound.”

On June 21, Warner Bros. will release the recordings, sourced directly from Prince’s archive of “Vault” recordings, via all download and streaming partners and physically on CD, while 180 gram 2LP and limited edition Deluxe CD+2LP formats will follow on July 19th. (Pre-order the album here.)

Prince was a monumentally prolific artist. By the mid-1980s, in addition to releasing nine of his most commercially successful albums, he also wrote and recorded many dozens of songs for proteges The Time, Vanity 6, Sheila E., Apollonia 6, Jill Jones, the Family, and Mazarati, and countless unreleased tracks. Often, Prince’s original demo recordings would be used as master takes on their albums, with only minor alterations to the instrumentation and a replacement of the vocal tracks. Other times, artists would rely on his demos to guide them through their own recording process, with Prince’s initial take informing their final version of his song.

“Originals” reveals the origins of these songs — many of which were substantial hits — along with deeper album cuts such as Vanity 6’s “Make-Up,” Jill Jones’s “Baby, You’re a Trip,” and Kenny Rogers’ “You’re My Love.” While several of the versions on “Originals” have been available on bootlegs, many have not. The only previously released track is Prince’s original 1984 version of “Nothing Compares 2 U,” which was issued in 2018 as a standalone single (although the 1992 live duet version with Rosie Gaines may be his definitive take). The song was originally released in 1985 by The Family, and made into an unforgettable No. 1 single by Sinead O’Connor five years later. The album also includes Prince’s versions of four songs he produced for Sheila E. and two by The Time.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Gwyneth Paltrow, Bradley Whitford to host Pete Buttigieg fundraiser in Los Angeles

Published

on

By

Gwyneth Paltrow, Bradley Whitford to host Pete Buttigieg fundraiser in Los Angeles

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., is making a big push for Los Angeles campaign cash next month, as celebrities and other Hollywood figures line up to support his unexpected rise in the 2020 presidential race.

Gwyneth Paltrow and Bradley Whitford are among the co-hosts for an event on May 9, as Buttigieg makes another fundraising swing through L.A., having courted donors at meet and greets and in private meetings with key bundlers in earlier visits.

According to an invite, Paltrow and her husband, writer-producer Brad Falchuk, and Whitford and actress Amy Landecker are co-hosts for the evening reception, one of a number of events Buttigieg is holding that day. Tickets start at $250 per person.

Paltrow hosted President Barack Obama for a fundraiser at her home in 2014.

According to sources, there was some friction among Hollywood bundlers in the effort to land one of the events for Buttigieg on that date, a reflection of how his star has risen in the 2020 field. Some fundraisers agreed to hold events at a later date.

In addition to the Paltrow/Whitford event, Buttigieg will also will headline another fundraiser earlier in the evening hosted by Claire and Brian Goldsmith, with tickets priced at $250 per person for those under 37 (Buttigieg’s age), according to the invite. Those who write checks for $2,800 or raise that amount can get a picture with the candidate, and those who contribute $1,000 will receive a signed book. Claire Goldsmith is an online education administrator; Brian Goldsmith is an investor who has co-hosted a podcast with Katie Couric.

A source also said Buttigieg will also hold a reception at the Abbey, the landmark West Hollywood nightspot.

Earlier in the day, Buttigieg will be raising money at another event, a lunch in Brentwood, with co-chairs including Jill Goldman, Vicki Kennedy, Lauren Taschen and Wendy Riva.

Buttigieg will return to L.A. in June, for a June 19 event at the home of Ryan Murphy, and David Miller with co-hosts including Simon Halls and Matt Bomer, as well as Billy Eichner. Other events are also expected to be added to his schedule.

Continue Reading

Categories

Recent Posts

Like Us On Facebook

Trending